Cornea and Anterior Segment

Overview


This department manage cornea and anterior segment related conditions.


The cornea accounting for more than two-thirds of the total power of the eye. It forms, together with the sclera, the outer shell of the eyeball, occupying one-third of the ocular tunic. The cornea serves as the transparent ‘window’ of the eye that allows the entry of light, whereas the sclera provides a ‘darkbox’ that allows the formation of an image on the retina. Together with the cellular and chemical components of the conjunctiva and tear film, the corneal surface protects against potential pathological agents and microorganisms.


Consultants


Prof.Dr. Sarwar Alam Dr. Md. Shafi Khan Dr. Mahmood Mujtaba Dr. Chandana Sultana

Dr. Abdus Salam Dr. Muntakim Shahid Dr. ASM Moin Uddin

Services


♦ The team in this service treats conditions(Corneal ulcers,all type injury, difficult & astigmatism correcting cataract surgery,dystrophy, degenerations, Keratoconus, allergic conditions, dry eye, conjunctival diseases like pterygium, growth, steven johnson syndrome, limbal dermoid, scleritis etc.

♦ Corneal transplantations(Anterior Lamellar, PKP, Patch grafts), Amniotic membrane graft,Conjunctival hood,Tissue adhesive& bandage contact lens, RGP, Punctal plug, LASIK evaluations-Corneal Pachymetry, Topography, Specular microscopy, Pterygium surgery by glue, All type of SICS/ Phaco (Toric& multifocal) IOL & Scleral fixation IOL surgery,Corneal scraping-various,Corneal biopsy-etc




Over the last few years the Cornea Department, headed by Prof. Sarwar Alam, has grown significantly. The Cornea Department currently has seven fully trained, full-time consultants who have completed long-term fellowships. At the time of writing, the Cornea Department is training a number of fellows both from Islamia and from outside hospitals who have sent to Islamia for training.


During the last year, the Cornea Department has seen over 50,268 outpatients (averaging 173 per day) and performed more than 2,630 surgeries. Among these, 231 were keratoplasties (PKs and TPKs), which were made possible by a collaboration with the eye bank Vision Share, based in the United States, who, since 2009, have sent 414 donor corneas to Islamia.


Other surgeries performed by the Cornea Department include: 808 corneal repairs, 813 corneal hood surgeries, 535 pterygium surgeries, and 26 amniotic membrane grafts.

 

The Cornea Department is well equipped with eight slit-lamps, a specular microscope, a pachymeter, a keratometer and a topography modeling system (TMS). The Cataract Cell is now overseen by the Cornea Department. The Cataract Cell is frequently the busiest area of a very busy hospital, seeing between 80 and 90 patients per day. Over 13,785 cataract surgeries were performed in 2011 in Dhaka, of which around 35% were performed using the Phacoemulsification technique. Most of the other 65% were performed using the SICS method. In the Cataract Cell, many of the patients come for consultation when they are blind or nearly so, and by this time their cataracts are mature and hard, making it more difficult to perform the surgery.