Other major changes at Ispahani Islamia Eye Institute and Hospital
1. Developing Islamia into a Centre of Excellence - with Full-time Surgeons
In September, 2010, a new system was implemented at Ispahani Islamia Eye Institute and Hospital. A group of eight highly qualified consultants became totally dedicated to the care of patients at this hospital. They gave up their private practice and agreed to work long hours solely to build up Islamia into an institute of international repute. This group has now expanded to seventeen consultants, and as the fellows (trainee consultants) complete their training at L V Prasad Eye Institute at Hyderabad, India, they join this select group of expert ophthalmologists.
2. Upgrading the Facilities
To achieve the objectives of self-sufficiency and cross-subsidization, the facilities are being upgraded and modernized, especially in those areas where we serve the more sophisticated patients.
- A new Private Outpatients Wing and a new Private Ward. The new private patient outpatients covers over 9,000 sq. ft. of space. There are now 15 examination rooms, each fully equipped and air-conditioned. It also has a diagnostic area, a pre-operative examination area, and a separate Private Waiting Room.
- A new Operation Theatre Suite is over 15,000 square feet, and consists of ten new operation theatres. Together with the third currently-existing operation theatre wing, there will be a total of 17 surgical areas. The complex includes a pre-operative waiting area, post-operative recovery areas, an operation theatre store, and a Central Sterilization Department with the most modern of autoclaves and sterilizing equipment. New anaesthetic and monitoring machines with a central gas supply is also included. The whole area is centrally air conditioned, and each theatre has a laminar flow air system and HEPA filters to meet or exceed international standards.
- New Electrical System: The original wiring has been replaced throughout the hospital with state-of-the-art electrical equipment. To meet the present and future needs, two large 400 kVA generators have been installed, together with a new 1000 kVA substation.
- New General Ward: A section of the hospital has been remodeled to provide a clean and welcoming environment for the general patients who need to stay in the hospital.
- A new Outpatients for Oculoplasty and Glaucoma was opened in 2012 and consists of eight examination rooms, a Humphrey Visual Field Analyser, and a Yag laser room. To provide space for the many patients of these departments, the former auditorium has been converted into a waiting hall.
- A Guest-house has been built for visitors and trainee doctors from other regions and countries. It consists of four rooms and a communal space. Already, a number of trainee surgeon ophthalmologists from China have been accommodated in this new facility.
- New parking facility. A large parking space has been developed and landscaped close to the Private outpatients department.
4. Upgrading of the Patient Care Systems
Our nurses have been undergoing training by the AK Khan Healthcare Foundation, a course using the syllabus from “The Consortium of Harvard Affiliated Hospital Nursing Services”. There have also been workshops and classes on improving the patient-employee interaction, focusing on our motto: "The needs of the patient must come first."
5. Change of Name and Logo
At the end of 2011, the name of the hospital changed from Islamia Eye Hospital to Ispahani Islamia Eye Institute and Hospital. This change stresses, in particular, that we are an Institute, not just a hospital. Together with the name change, there is a new logo and letterhead, which can be seen above.